Friday, March 12, 2010

PREFER- WOULD PREFER- WOULD RATHER

1- Use 'prefer' to talk generally about likes, dislikes, what we want.






Eg: "I prefer horror films in general."
“He prefers reading books.”
" They prefer to spend their holiday abroad."

2- The expressions 'would prefer' and 'would rather', to be a little more specific or for on the spot decisions.


Eg: “I would prefer to see him in person.”
"I'd prefer living in a city"


Eg: “I would rather go home now.”

3- While making comparison prefer, would prefer – go with 'to'






Eg: "I prefer ─░zmir to Ankara."
“I prefer living in a city to living in the country.”
“I would (I'd) prefer being alone to being with the wrong person”.

4- While making comparisons, would rather – goes with 'than'

Eg: "I'd rather talk to him in person than call him on the phone.”

5- To ask about general likes and dislikes, use "present simple tense".

Eg: Do you prefer horror films?
Do you prefer traveling alone?
Do you prefer to visit historical places?
6- To ask about specific choices or the things people want at that time use "would"
Eg: "Would you prefer to see a movie or go to a club?"
"Would you rather go shopping with me?"
"“Would you rather stay at a hotel?”

EXERCISES:

No comments:

Post a Comment